Thursday, September 18, 2008

Nice Change

Who has all the time to blog? During conferences I do. I just had a cool thing go on today. I was talking with Paul in W118 about how I don't know what to do with my 5th hour and how I get real frustrated with them. He suggested to just try putting on a super positive front. I had to have them take some notes because we are starting a new topic and he suggested addressing the class and telling them how great they are going to do on this topic and how I need them to pay very close attention and take notes for the next 10 minutes so that they can be as successful as I know they can be. I tried to keep this positive mentality going all the way to class, I greeted students at the door by name and told all of them hello. I was super positive and front loaded them with compliments and how I know they will be very successful....etc. The crazy thing is that it worked! The students were very productive today and exceeded my expectations on their assignment. Just wanted to give anyone else who's facing frustration with their classes some hope. Fake it until they make it.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the idea, I'm definitely going to try it with my 3rd hour. I know I have been so frustrated with them that they are picking up on it, and I'm sure it's not helping the situation. I'll let you know how it goes!

Stewart said...

What a great post! I know we all get into a rough spot after a while of being stressed as a teacher and reminders about how positivety affects the students is definitely needed. Thanks Christine and Paul!