Saturday, November 22, 2008

Take 5

I have been meaning to blog, reflect and discuss our Take 5 problem solving approach, but have been in the whirlwind of finishing term 1 and starting term 2, but here goes. For those of you who haven't seen the template, our Take 5 model is linked here.
Last term, specifically with our 10A area unit, I introduced, modeled and spent a fair amount of time with our Take 5 problem solving strategy. Although I have the buy-in on the importance of all of the steps of Take 5 and the necessity of modeling and think-alouds that needs to go with it, my kids didn't take to it as well as I'd hope. I know that it isn't going to be a perfect system for everybody and the key is that it is a tool for those students who need a tool.
In general, I've found that the students who would benefit because it would slow them down and help them pay more attention to the details don't like it because they see it as unnecessary work. And those students who usually get overwhelmed and don't attempt word problems, may start with steps one and two, but it doesn't seem to help them visualize the problem and process the right strategy so they still get stuck or proceed in the wrong direction.
I'm curious how everyone has used the Take 5 problem solving strategy, how you introduced it, how often you use it, if you assess how it is being used, and your students' reactions toward it. I'm also curious if anyone else is pinpointing similar issues like students not being able to visualize the problem and choose the right strategy. I think it has to do with the transferability of notes and examples to a different setting in the word problem. How do you work with this issue?

3 comments:

TDeaguero said...

I have had similar experiences with it.
I think it is critical to have a bank of rich, challenging questions, that can be accessed and solved through several different modes of thought. This is especially true for those who think they can do it in their head without going through a process such as "Take Five".
Those who don't normally try word problems should be encouraged to use strategies and skills that they already have. Again the key may be the type of question that is being asked.
I think it would help to establish a list of the 5 "best chance" strategies. These would be the strategies that would give the best chance of solving the most common type of problem they might be expected to solve. My first one would be the "Arrow Roads" method of solving simple algebraic (linear) equations. This model is similar to "thinking backwards".
It will take time but if the concept is reinforced throughout the building then more and more students will buy in to it.

pmci said...

I like the remark you made about the TAKE FIVE being a tool for students who need a tool. The template itself seems as though it could be intimidating...ie. students would in fact view it as another piece of work as opposed to a tool or a process that is general and helpful. It seems to me that it may be more helpful to introduce the idea with only five words...READ, THINK, STRATEGY, SOLVE, COMMUNICATE. Personally, I would prefer to see CHECK as the last of the five. Then down the road, show them the full template. Naturally, I allude to this process all the time in problem solving situations with my classes, though I have yet to show them the template. Thanks for reminding me!
Paul McInerney

Unknown said...

Firstly, the graphic organizer is so wordy and busy, it appears as though it is more complicated to complete the process than it actually is. Students avoid things that "look hard."
Secondly, Students will likely remember that there are 5 steps to the Take 5 process to solving math problems, but they are unlikely to remember what the 5 steps are if there are no visuals, acronyms, or other pneumonics to aid in memory and retrieval. The shorter and simpler, the better.