Friday, October 3, 2008

Teaching student expectations

I keep getting reminded that my expectations and the students' ideas of my expectations are quite different. It is hard to imagine that a direction such as "read this page" conjures up different ideas to me than the students. I have realized that "reading" to them is abstract so I continually have to be very explicit on what I want to see and hear. I can't make the student read and they know that which I think is why it becomes abstract to them. Instead, I remind them that I want to see the books open, their eyes in the book, the book right side up (just in case) and their mouths closed. This is much more concrete and I have much better results.

The next project I want to tackle is more obvious reminders/cues/concrete examples of what I expect if students get stuck. Too often, they are stuck and just don't have coping strategies in their toolboxes, such as how to use their notes or the textbook to help them. Then then talk to their friends and get frustrated when I come down on them for not working, saying they tried and were stuck and I hadn't read their mind to come help them. They feel like they have done every thing they could so why am I so upset. Plus, it is much easier to be defensive and blame someone else.

I have observed that students have a hard time transferring information from notes to other problems. Instead of blaming the students for being lazy, let's figure out a way to help teach and reteach these strategies and remind students of our expectations. I am working on a log type system for my students to record what steps they take when they get stuck with very visible choices posted in the room. More to follow, but let me know what you think!

2 comments:

pmci said...

Think about the subject of reading in math class...It is important - really, I think it is. My Monday plans have my students reading a piece from the textbook. Approximately four pages in the math text, the examples are solid, the introduction to the content is clear and well written. I learned a lot of the math I know from reading math books. Realizing that students do not generally have the same zeal that we may have for the subject, it is not a regular requirement in my class, but I do feel they can benefit from this type of reinforcement. I do not feel it would be appropriate or productive to have them read a text explaination as a regular mode for exposure to new content, but considering the fact that i just resented this material to my classes last week, it is relatively fresh and new information for them and I feel they will benefit from the reading experience. Mind you, I will need to let them know that reading a math book is hugely different from reading a science fiction novel. you kinda gotta put your finger down on the line or symbol and NOT MOVE IT until you can say...."Ah Ha!! I seen what's been done here. Slow - meticulous, but such an effective way to enhance one's understanding of the content. We all know this to be true...it can be a tough sell to our students - many of them seem to exhibit very limited attention span or ability to stay focused and to endure for any extended period of time. That said, I feel that on a limited semi-regular basis, it can be an effective use of classroom time. Thank you, Regina, for inspiring my thoughts upon reflection!

pmci said...

oops, I didn't proof-read till after I published. Explanation is mis-spelled and I certainly did not mean that I RESENTED the information during the previous week...I ment to say that I PRESENTED it! Funny how that came out!