Wednesday, August 20, 2008

New School Year, New Blog


Welcome to Adams City and Welcome Back to another school year at Adams City. By building a strong community within our math department, we can all grow and the students can find sucess. Let's use this post as a test for you all to comment on and practice with the blog.
What's your favorite part about being a math teacher? My favorite part is that I get to make corny math jokes ALL day long and students just shake their heads! It's even better when a student makes a math joke!

3 comments:

TDeaguero said...

Hi Everybody, I hope your first day went well. I found an interesting learning styles inventory. It took about a half hour to do and generated some good discussion about auditory vs visual vs kinesthetic learning styles. If you would like to use it I have about 20 question packets (re-useable)and some extra answer sheets. Stop by my room and get them. First come, first served. You might start this activity by asking, "What is meant by the word, 'metscognition' (thinking about or being aware of how you are thinking).

Also I have some good and simple strategies for the "Doing and Undoing" problem solving strategies as mentioned in Regina's handout. I can share them with you individually or at one of our PD sessions.

TDeaguero said...

Oops, the word was "metacognition" not metscognition.
sorry

Christine Mac said...

I am also excited for this new year and new math team. I'm not gonna lie, I'm also feeling pretty overwhelmed. It's hard to find the balance of planning worthwhile lessons, analyzing assessment data, grading, working on a global learners project, working on grad school stuff, SIOP, and having a home life. I like what Jason said at our last PD about doing one thing great rather than doing a bunch just ok, and I'm trying to keep focused not trying to bite off too much right now. Any balance advice or suggestions?